The festive season can be challenging at the best of times, given the flurry of last-minute activities and the pressure to have a wonderful time. This is often exacerbated by feelings of loneliness, and a natural reaction to the loss many have experienced at a time when we are urged to value those around us.
The good news? There’s plenty you can do to boost your mental and emotional wellness at this time:
- Release the pressure: the reality is that for some people, this time of year isn’t magical at all – it can be really hard. If you fit into this category, give yourself permission to feel unhappy.
- Take care of the basics: all the emotional ‘stuff’ is a lot easier to deal with if your physical wellbeing is taken care of.
- Don’t be afraid of disappointing others: accept that you may be able to please some of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time.
- Reach out to a professional: the “Join Panda" App provides a great solution in the form of a free-to-download app which makes it possible to access community support; check out information around mental wellness, and even get expert help, anonymously.
- Gift yourself: it’s natural to think of others at this time of year, but concentrate on what will help you to remain calm and happy. Do you need some time out – a quiet morning, a meditation, or a walk? Figure out what you need, and take the time to do it.
- Plan ahead: try to plan your days to give yourself enough time to recuperate and revive after all the activities and socialising. This will give you a little space to make plans that will be less stressful, like time out to do your hobbies.